Sunday, October 25, 2015

I Bet You Missed the Sabine River Brass Band...

Last night I went to the first Annual Brass Band Barbecue. The food was good and music was great. Turnout was a bit light so that's the reason for his blog post. 

Last night, besides the Sabine River Brass Band covering New Orleans Standards I heard maybe one song I knew by a major country music legend type dude. It kind of morphed into something else so I don't know if that counts but the rest were new to me, maybe originals I really don't know but if you were hanging out some where with live music last night and somebody played the pretty much the same set list as the guy that played there last week well, I guess me and you like to hang out different places. 

Here's the Sabine River Brass Band. If you are getting married or planning a N. O. Style jazz funeral I recommend these guys for the gig. 



This is a band called Noise Crater. What's not to like here? Spooky reverby guitar, a tiny girl dancing swaying and stomping on uke, harmonica and belly dancer ankle bells and a drummer who wins best bass drum head. Unique sounding music born in some isolated rehearsal shed.  

This is County Willie. He's a local songwriting dude of some fame. 

Lots of stuff by him on youtube but you you might want to check out the trailer for the movie Rainbows End. In addition to Willie it stars The Legendary Stardust Cowboy and the late local baton twirling hot pants wearing guy Audrey Dean Leighton..
  

Other bands billed to play were Chris Edwards and the Tamale Pirates and 40 Watt Pine Box. Sorry I missed your sets but I'm getting your name out there so folks will know you exist. 

There was almost too much to see music wise in the East Texas area this weekend and there is still good stuff upcoming. Today's Lufkin paper has an article on April and Loyd, two people who put on the Old Mill Festival in Kennard. We met them this weekend when Cathy and I shared a stage with members of The Saw Mill Vagrants outside the Old Souls Food Truck. Their FESTIVAL is November 6-7.

Thanks to the Sabine River Brass Band for putting this event on. Lots of musical vision out there and good people working to bring it to you. 



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger