Monday, June 20, 2016

A Little Tropical Music...

After our trip to Puerto Rico and hearing the sounds of salsa influenced music blaring from shops and auts we had a chance to check out two bands, Mango Punch and Havana NRG at Discovery Green in Houston. It was a free show and if you have not checked out this venue there is an online schedule with various bands that should please all musical areas of interest. 

You bring a blanket or a lawn chair, a picnic or whatever and enjoy downtown Houston in a way you might not think possible. I think every town needs a free summer concert series in a well developed park space like this. It is credited with being a catalyst for a projected one billion in downtown development. We lament the loss of industry in Lufkin but for business to come here the people that come with that need nice things to do. I know in my line of work we often rely on staff that are "travelers" because it's hard to find a young person that wants to live in rural East Texas and make a permanent place here. I am sure a company looking for a location takes into consideration these kinds of issues. 

Here's Mango Punch.  Members of this band hailed from all kind of southern locales from Puerto Rico to Ecuador with I think one guy from Houston. 

Good front man 


An Accordion. What's not to like?  


Ecuadorean fans. Ecuador was losing to USA in soccer as we watched this concert. USA plays in Houston tomorrow. Check with Miguel to see who the opponent is I think he's going.    


The second band was Havana NRG. I was prepared to like them better because of the horn section. The music was certainty good I think to pacing of the first band was better. 


Cuban influenced music. Both bands did a couple of the same numbers which Miguel said were covers. Kind of like when you get a bunch of middle age blues guys together. Everybody gonna play Whipping Post. 


No accordion but cool points for this.  




The show scheduled here on June 30th is New Orleans band Kermit Riffins and the BBQ Swingers. I have seen Kermit several times and is probably as close to a modern day Louie Armstrong as anyone out there right now as far as the total entertainment package.  

Check out Discovery Green. Tell your leaders we need this in our town. 


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger