Tuesday, February 06, 2018

A Little Traditional N.O. Jazz

On our last trip to New Orleans we settled into the warm Back Room at Buffa's neighborhood bar early because it was New Year's Eve, the evening looked to be icy, we wanted a place to sit and watch a band and we expected to see the Royal Rounders as the main event of the night. We got a real treat from the opening band, The Steve Pistorius Quartet. 

I had not heard of the group before but it turns out Steve is a pretty famous dude. He's a throw back to the old Jelly Roll Morton piano style. Plays the river boat cruises, Preservation Hall as well as international venues. Really if you count Steve the band is a Quintet. Piano, clarinet, cornet, bass and drums. In the rock world I think you have such as the power trio. Bass, drums and guitar.  I don't think I have ever heard the Jimi Hendrix Experience billed as the Jimi Hendrix Duo. 

Vocals were handled by Steve and the cornet player.  
Lots of good solos with mutes of various kinds including a tin pan wah wah like you see some guys use a plunger. 

Great clarinet player. Solos went on and on and I am sorry I did not get these guy's names committed to memory. 


Bass and Drums. 
The band played a set, took a break and when they came back a funny thing happened. It seems that Steve, the leader had been called away and they played on as a quartet. The cornet player switched to piano, continued with the vocals and the clarinet player really began to let things rip. Seemed like the style shifted ever so slightly to something I could not quite put my finger on and things got looser and jammier.

We enjoyed the show a lot and hope things are OK for Steve. Looks like this is a regular Sunday evening gig so stop in and see them. A good venue with food that while nothing to rave about could be classified as hearty, filling fare.

 




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger