Sunday, July 22, 2018

It's Hot and Old Guys Gotta Pace Themsleves...

It's hot in Texas this summer and other places as well but this blog post is not about that. I would not get too hot myself what with being an outside person and spending a lot of time on the water but then I have not had to dig a ditch in the noonday sun in a long time and this blog post is not about that either. It's a review of a couple of acts, Delbert McClinton and Deacon John who we saw on a humid spring afternoon in May at the New Orleans Jazz Fest. 

Delbert McClinton has been on what we call the must see list. I bet we have half a dozen records of his. He's been on the scene since a teen and in addition to backing legends like Lightin Hopkins and Sonny Boy Williamson he's had  Billboard Top 100 hits, Grammys, an induction in the Texas Heritage Songwriters Hall of Fame and he gave Beatle John Lennon harmonica playing tips that resulted in the hit "Love Me Do." 

On this day Delbert who is 77 and had a heart bypass in 2014 seemed to be dragging a bit. The band was sharp, but it was a hot day and they were plagued by some sound system troubles. I don't think anyone was happy. We hope to give Delbert another chance in the future. 


Texas Road House Blues Band. If you live in Texas you should know all about Delbert McClinton. 


There is that harmonica. 



In contrast we also saw another 77 year old dude Deacon John. Now I'll give you credit if you have not heard of this guy. He has never had a hit in his name but was in on the ground floor of New Orleans R & B playing on hits by Alan Toussaint, Irma Thomas, Lee Dorsey and Ernie Kato. He's still a New Orleans favorite and while I had seen him some years ago I was glad to catch this show.  


His set started out with Cab Calloway type big band tunes and continued on like a musical history lesson up through R & B, soul, funk and ended up with the Deacon playing some blistering guitar in the Earl King style and delivering devastating slide licks that recalled Elmo James. 

The man knew how to pace himself in the heat. There were several costume changes and the lady singers all got a turn.   

In addition to his hot licks his back up guitar player was no slouch either. 


Take it easy in the heat. It's got a lot hotter in New Orleans I would imagine but I have found good rates at French Quarter hotels in the dog days of summer because no one wants to be there  Other than me I guess that is. Listen to some Delbert, some Deacon or better yet catch a live show. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger