Thursday, June 21, 2018

Introducing the Boat Paddle Guitar...

Ok, search the internet. It's not near the only boat paddle guitar in the world and it is certainty not the most expensive one. I think it might be the most aesthetically pleasing, especially if you are an East Texas fisherman. 
Thanks to Pat, who requested one of these for her husband Lanny's birthday for the challenge f making one of these.  I used to play in the old Back Porch Band with Lanny so I was glad to oblige. She said it could be just a wall hanger and not really have to be a player but it's pretty much as easy to make on play as not.  He has not got his present yet but in not on social media so ya'll keep a secret ya hear? 


I made the first one from stuff in my tackle box but not wanting to use up a life times stock of Devil's Horse topwater baits I visited Heritage Antiques in Downtown Lufkin and found a few lures down there. Antique lures can be expensive. I am looking for mass produced not collectible hopefully colorful lures.  


Eric at Sound Techs music store bought the Heddon Zara Spook topwater on the left. 


I must confess I posted a video on facebook of me playing these guitars and people liked it a lot. Lot of compliments on the sound. I must confess, these guitars are acoustic instruments and while they do sound pretty good in the video I used a stick on piezo pick up, a contact pickup like you might stick on a uke or mandolin to electrify it in a pinch. Playing it though a battery powered Fly 3 Black Cat amp got a huge sound. The paddle was really resonant. 




I guess this brings up a point I have stressed again and again to folks and that's that three strings are not necessarily easier to play than six. On the fretless neck you got to have a developed ear, a little knowledge of theory and the willingness to hook up some electric gadgets in a way no one else wants to. 

Don't try this at home unless you are mudbelly. 

   

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger