Thursday, September 05, 2019

Yola at Railbird Festival...

If you check out this week's Rolling Stone Magazine you will find a short profile of Yola right at the front of the issue. We saw her at the Railbird festival a few weeks ago. Now I am not saying I got on to new music first, but in an age where many lament the state of entertainment note that from these photos I am stage front. I am not letting a streaming service or an awards show dictate to me. 

Yola is from England. She has had some success with Dance music, producing, playing in the band Phantom Limb and as Rolling Stone stated :singing uncredited on several hits." Apparently this is good success as she took some time off to retool as an Americana type singer songwriter and relocate to Nashville all while being supported by royalty payments.  

'I liked her bass player and the instrument he used. I'm guessing mid 60s import of some type from an undetermined country. There is no brand on the headstock. It's from a time when brands were not so important. Note the foam stuck under the strings at the bridge to increase the thump. This beast is a rumble in the right key, the holy grail of tuba tone that many bass players don't even know exists. 


Good guitar players in the band that supplied great backing vocals. 


Note these instruments are kind of taped up with stickers stuck on them. You might not do that to your new Les Paul but I like the school of make it sound like you want then break it so it sounds that way all the time. These guys aint going back. 

Check out Yola. 

I have had good luck at finding some decent video of the performances I saw. Here's a clip that looks to have been made by some one standing near me. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger