Sunday, August 04, 2019

Harlem, NYC, the National Jazz Museum and the Apollo...

When were in NYC we tried to hit as many cool places and neighborhoods as we could. Central Park, Wall Street, Brooklyn, Chinatown, the Bowery, the East End and of course Harlem. In Harlem we discovered the National Jazz Museum. 

It's a small place, basically one room. There are some heavy weights involved. Johnathon Batiste of the famed New Orleans family of musicians and renown bassist Christian McBride are the artistic directors. Couple of Board of trustee names you might recognize are Ken Burns and Wynton Marsalis. I did not get the names of the guys working the desk the day we visited but when I walked in they said "you must be a musician!" Takes one to know one. 

In addition to the exhibits there was quite a library of books on the subject of jazz. I did quite a bit of browsing looking for an old famous book of jazz photos that I used to check out of the Lufkin Library. It had many photos from the 50s and 60s of jazz greats in informal settings as well as arty shots such as a guy carrying a string bass down the street at dawn in NYC. I could not find it and can't recall the photographer's name. The book seems to have disappeared from the local library. Anyway speaking of informal I did find this photo of a combo in rehearsal and the bass player has no pants. None of the places I go to rehearse have given me any indication that no pants are ok. It's ok at my house though but you will have to promise that that will be as far as it goes.   
  


Duke Ellington's piano. What more can I say? Look him up, the world will be better if you get acquainted. 


Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis's tenor sax. The card says he often modified his horns to withstand his powerful playing style and wedged keys he thought unnecessary closed. A man after my own heart. Get it sounding like you like and then break it so it sounds that way all the time. 



The mouthpiece of Lockjaw's horn. Note the bill wrapped around the gooseneck and the wear on the mouthpiece. My kids may be thinking they will inherit some nice instruments but I'm gonna try to wear them out. Just be sure to look under the pickguards on the guitars.   


Now we listen to a good bit of Cuban mambo, Dixieland and swing around here but Cathy does not like modern jazz. Says it makes her feel like slapping someone. I don't play modern jazz, at least when she is in earshot or arms reach. 



Of course you have to see the famous Apollo Theater. Not much going on a Sunday afternoon and they were closed for a few hours in honor of Malcom X's birthday but this was good enough to stand outside this hallowed ground of music.  


Lots of stars with their names inlaid on the sidewalk. 


You might not make it to Harlem but you need to know Billie. Look her up, the world will be better for it. 






Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger