Thursday, June 18, 2020

Ratcliff Lake Swimming and Canoeing...

After a day of household and yard chores we felt like an afternoon swim. I loaded the canoe and me, Cathy and Ezra took off for Ratcliff Lake. 

If you don't know Ratcliff was built in the late 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. It was an old logging pond and source of water for the central coal and coke company from 1902-1920. and to have a park I would imagined that the loggers had moved on because all the trees were gone. Thankfully all have grown back.

 I must say that the park was beautiful and very well kept. Two swimmers were leaving as we arrived, two more arrived as we left and I caught the glint of what may have been an occupied campsite on the other side of the lake. I used to never like a place like Ratcliff preferring instead more isolated, obscure places but age, easy access and my Forest Service Boat Ramp permit allowing free entry has made public swimming holes guilty pleasures. 

It also gave us a chance to see what an almost three year old would do in a tippy boat. He did great and his parents report he often awakes each day asking if chances of fishing or boating are going to be available.


I think once at Ratcliff at a family reunion or company picnic of some type my dad had to wade in in his leather shoes to pull me to the surface by my hair. I did not have to do this yesterday.  


A fishing rod, a paddle, he is happy with something that stirs the water. 


Signs warn of gators. No big deal for this crew. 


The Tuesday Ratcliff swim might have to be on my agenda for the rest of the summer. I'll bring fishing gear next time. This little lake usually produces enough action that I bet we stay happy.  

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger