Sunday, June 07, 2020

The catfish report and a crowded lake...

With my retirement I have found myself on the lake on Saturdays a lot more. When working I had more off days on week days so always seemed that not too many people were around. Boat ramp was crowded and when we got to our spot someone was fishing there. We still managed to catch 20 catfish and have a very fine time. 

I don't know if my fishing on the weekends have exposed me to reality of how crowed the lake can get or if because of Covid 19 that activity families would normally be involved in is shut down right now and people are using the lake as an outlet for fun and safe social distancing. Either way it's a good thing to see all these people out. I remember the lake being crowed as a kid when you could tie up to any dead tree for a mess of fish but seems like in recent years we are often by ourselves out there. 

I think Ezra has the fishing gene. He was not too much on letting a stink bait down to the bottom and waiting on a catfish bite but he showed great interest thrashing the water to a froth with a small spinner bait. That yellow rod was in my mom's barn and I think it was the one she used to fish with. I replaced the reel with a Lew's spin caster and with it's single handle crank it's perfect for small hands. 


Mat fished with us. As I say someone was in our spot and I have noticed that the last few trips that seems like there are a lot of small fish. That is one reason I never fish a spot where they say they are biting. If everyone knows of the spot the big fish have been picked and only little ones left. I prefer to find my own places and it might be time to be moving on. 


Cathy tries to show Ezra her catch but I think he was reaching as deep as he could in the water with that rod. I mean that only makes sense to get down there where the fish are. 


We swam on a good old East Texas red dirt beach. I had forgotten my depth finder so I don't know how deep we caught the fish or the water temps but water seemed a bit cool this trip. 


Catfish will swim again in our belly for lunch today. 

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger