Sunday, April 17, 2022

The Great Easter Blue Cat Massacre...

 It's been a busy weekend. We played music for all services at our church on Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Vigil which lasted till 12:30am. The big grandkids came in from Lake Jackson today for a big week which we kicked off by a quick run to the lake. We were looking more at relaxing but the blue cats put us to work.

Cathy caught a channel cat right off the bat slip corking punch bait in about 6' of water with a slight drop to 9' nearby. Her second fish was an 8lb 7oz blue. 


Several more smaller chucky ones followed. 

I've got a pretty decent personal best largemouth bass to my credit. I've caught striped bass in the 7-8-9 pound class. I have caught some pretty good reds surf fishing and I really shine on lunker breams. I can't compete when it comes to the 8-10 pound class of catfish Cathy has put in the boat the past several years. My only consolation is that I always pick the spot. 
My brother in law Matt and Grandkids Warren and Coraline. Sometimes we catch the cats close to the bushes. In this particular spot they seem to prefer to be at the drop slightly off the bank. I suspect it is because the lake level is a bit lower than normal and they are a bit shy (I usually have a boat full of grandkids banging around) in the shallows, especially the bigger blues.  
Warren lands a fish. 
This scene has a repel all boarders feel to it. 
With the help of my trusty net crew even I landed a nice blue. Once again we used Jpiggs punch bait. Fishing time was from 4pm to 5:30. If I decide I want to fish and I hook up the boat, stop for a bag of ice and then launch I can be on my fishing spot in an hour. Then about an hour back to the house and with the bigger blues which take a bit of time to clean all that and disposing of the carcasses which took most of an hour and a half I did not really spend a lot of time fishing today.
Final count was 15 fish. Ten channels and five blues. I figure that big one was $40 worth of meat not counting the old belly meat for nuggets. $100 plus of fillets all total. 

Might try for another trip later this week. 

 

 












 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger