Thursday, April 07, 2022

Bank Fishing Report for the Rocks...

Wind predictions were high for Wednesday afternoon. Recent boat fishing hauls from around the cypress and willow trees had been good but we decided not to risk the wind and left the big rig at home to check bank fishing and see if the cats were gathering to spawn around the bridge rip rap. 

It was probably 25 years ago when I first started slip corking and using punch baits for catfish. One spring, I seem to recall near the end of April I was fishing from our first pontoon boat and anchored on the west end of the north side of the highway 103 bridge crossing Lake Sam Rayburn. I was doing well, catching fish up to four pounds. Parking had not been banned due to safety concerns yet on the bridge and there was a pretty good crowd of bank fishermen as well as boats anchored along the rocks. 

As I started to leave one fellow from the nearest boat hailed me and asked what I was using for bait. Seems I was out catching him and he was curious. I filled a container I had handy and tossed it over to his boat, he thanked me and I departed. 

The next week I returned to the same spot and there that guy was again. He said "After you left I hooked a 35 pound blue cat. I did not have a net so some other guys pulled up beside my boat and netted it for me. That bait works good." 

I wish I had got that big fish but I was happy for him and glad he got the help he needed to land the fish. Even though there seems to be more fish than ever I believe the interactions among people to be a little more dog eat dog on the lake these days.    

We fished the 147 bridge rocks from about 1pm till 4 which has been prime time around the bushes in the Canyons or Deer Stand areas of the lake but only managed 5 catfish slip corking punch bait. They were quite a bit smaller than recent catches but the females were full of eggs and still legal fish. We strung them for a supper.  

Cathy, who enjoys bank fishing had a hip replacement last September and allowed that though she made it she does not see a great many climbs down the bridge rip rap in her future.

The recipe for the evening was a Poor Man's Catfish Rockefeller. Marinade fish in Tiger Sauce. Place foil on gas grill and cook fillets seasoned to taste with butter, Cajun seasoning and lime. Poured canned spinach (or fresh if handy) on foil with butter, parmesan and onions and sauté till heated through. Top with fillets and serve. Our sides were baked potato and green salad. 

If I did not already have one I'd use Catfish Rockefeller as my stage name  


Bigger fish are to be found in other spots but you can't beat a fresh caught supper. 



 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger