Sunday, October 29, 2023

Last night I had the fun of playing at the Stone Wall Rockers Fall Jamfest with the Brazos River Rats...

Last night I had the fun of playing at the Stone Wall Rockers Fall Jamfest with the Brazos River Rats. This is an event that's been held for at least 26 years that I can account for and it supports purchase of Thanksgiving Dinner for the Children's Hospital at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Tx. This is rumored to be the last benefit due to the advancing age of the participants and the effort of production but after the gig many Brazos River Rats were saying "oh there will be another one." I don't know but I was honored that I'm considered a Brazos River Rat since some members have been playing together for 49 years.     

Me and Chris Edwards with master of ceremonies Mark in the background. You can catch Chris and other local singer songwriters at the Liver Oak Listening Room Guy Clark Tribute on Nov. 5th at 3pm. It's always fun to be onstage with Chris and his shows are great.  

That's Travis Kitchens, musical mis-director and fearless leader and organizer of the Rats and Rockers.  on the other side of Mark and Shelia Lee on the far side the stage. Me and Cathy first met Travis in the early 1990s when we recorded a children's choir album as a benefit for church fundraising. We sold it on cassette which I hear is making a come back. I still have about 50 of them for you retro fans out there.    


Me and Bill Henley on drums. I think I first played a gig in public with Bill about 1984. 

T shirt design by Nate Kitchens with shirts by the Harknesses of Pineywoods Printing who are long time sponsors of the Jamfests. 

Doc Roland fine tunes his rig to take the stage. 

Guitars and Cunga drums mean business. 


That's the other other Mark on lead guitar. I played my resonator guitar in open tuning at this gig and I think my favorite parts of the night were when Mark played lead and I backed him up which is not always an easily feat in an open tuning when minor chords are involved. One of the hard and fast Brazos River Rat rules are that there are to be no rehearsals and no charts on stage. Just ooze into the beginning, the middle goes smooth and train wreck the end. You will be considered a member in good standing.  

Local sponsors and participants. 

The County Seat Cafe served a righteous hanging off the plate rib eye, jumbo baked potato and a salad. Pies auctioned off as a part of the fundraiser $100 to $300 and Cakes went for as much as $400.  


I don't know if there will be another jamfest like this but next year there will be a 50th anniversary Brazos River Rats Party. I'll try not to rehearse too much so I can remain a member in good standing. 

Thanks, Travis for putting this on and inviting me to play.  

 

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger