Tuesday, October 03, 2023

Calumet River Cruise...

On our recent visit to Katie, Peter, Wallace and Hamish in Chicago we had and afternoon of cruising the Calumet River in their new to them boat.

We had originally set out for a Chicago River boat ramp just a few minutes from their house but it was closed due to a rowing race on the river that day so a few minutes more driving time put us on the Calumet River. The tow vehicle just barely in the photo there is one of those hybrid Chrysler mini vans that run about 30 miles on battery and switch over to gas for longer runs and heavier work. It did a fine job pulling this walk through windshield Cresterliner boat with a 75 HP Johnson.  Crestliner is an old boat company in operation since the late 1940s. 


The Calumet flows between Gary, In. and Chicago. I don't think it flows that same way it always has as there has been lots of manmade foolery with the river and the water itself has basically been unusable dating from the late 19th century due to the various human activity that has taken place along it's banks. I think there is a program to make the rivers in the area clean enough to swim in by 2035 but I don't know where they are on that. Just to go on record a little government regulation does make things better for all of use. 




 People do seem to bass fish this river just like they do down south and reportedly there are good populations of bream.  We launched at the yellow dot on the map and there is distance listed to various spots of interest. 


The 75 Johnson is much the same as the 1975 Evinrude outboard that was on my dad's old bass boat. While the 70 and 85 models were built for power this is built for speed. This 1983 model boat and motor has been very well maintained and runs like a top.  These old motors have a good sound that has been in my ears for most of my life. 




It won't be long until it's time to store this rig for the winter. A little different than the south when I am just now starting to look for good fishing which will probably last and be consistent till weather gets hot again. 

There will be some Canadian trips with this boat next summer. Hopefully I get invited again. 



   



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger