Monday, May 13, 2024

I'm Going to Circulate These Records...

Back in April we visited Cathy's old high school friends Danny and Karen on a trip we made to Austin. I was straightening out the record room the other day and I thought about another trip to Austin where I bought a $5 box of used records and it jogged my memory to something Danny said on our visit.   
Our friends Karen and Danny don't exactly fish in the old mainstream. She's an artist. Danny has worked for ZZ Top, driven a taxi, you may have seen him as an extra in a couple of movies and until slowed by Parkinson's has been a junk picker reselling found treasures. He says, "some may say a hoarder but I really just recirculate stuff." 

Cleaning out my record room there was a stack of records from that $5 box leaned up in a little nook where they were hard to browse. I bet most of them had not been played as they have been culled through once with a pile going to the thrift store and yesterday I culled again keeping maybe a dozen and earmarking about 45 records to the give away pile. I'm not hoarding. I'm recirculating.   


Someone that finds these, I need to give them to a store I don't frequent so I don't buy any of them again, will think an Italian crooner fan died and his kids gave away his collection. I'm ok giving as I don't find myself in the Italian crooner mood often but don't underestimate Al Martino there on top. He's no candy ass. Wounded in the invasion of Iwo Jima he often cracked the Billboard Top 100 with his tunes. In life most people don't get that opportunity to really do their best. 

Out of that 100 record box bought in 2011 I might estimate I kept 25 or so records, Glenn Campbell, Charlie Rich, Dean Martin/Rat Pack stuff, big band pop renderings, movie themes and one by guitar wizard Roy Smeck.  

Circulate. It keeps it fresh. And if you are an Italian crooner fan you can probably hit me up for a few of these before I make it to town for a thrift store drop off.  

 

 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger