Friday, May 26, 2006

I live in the mist of the East Texas gumbo fields, you know, mud that sticks to your feet in the wet season, hard as concrete can't dig a hole in the summer months. In the spring there is one critter that can dig and that is some type of crawdad of a species that is found only in a narrow band that runs from Huntington to Diboll. Or so it seems. This particular dad is good for nothing, can't boil it, fish won't bite it it just makes mounds all over your yard.

There is something that likes it. There are about three places around my yard, at the base of trees where it looks like something has been sitting in the tree eating dads. Here is what it looks like, this area that is covered with dad remains is about the size of a 55 gallon barrel lid.

My guess is that there are owls doing this. They are hunting dads when they crawl out at night. I very rarely see one, but I hear them hooting after dark. I like it, the hooting and the feast of the dads helps keep the mounds down in my yard. Global warming is helping keep the yard dryer, but if the dads can't dig, the owls leave.

Maybe if I listen real close to the hoots a little wise old owl will rub off on me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger