Saturday, September 30, 2006

At the airport...

Been a hundred years since I was at the local airport. I saw a notice that Texas canidate for governor Chris Bell was flying in to make a local campain swing. Ya'll come out was the word on the street. I had visions of snapping a picture of a political event, canidates descend down one of those roll up to the airplane stair things all waving and smiling and posting it here. I got there and decided it was probably not going to be a big plane.

I pulled into the parking lot, looked like about as many people as visit this blog every couple of days on hand. I occurred to me these might be suits inside so I headed to a very nice pavilion overlooking the runway. A beautiful day, a great place to sit and watch a piper type craft making practice landings. A woman walking a dog. A TV station camera man set up nearby. I thought about a neighbor from my area, Mrs. Watterson. her obit several years ago read that she cooked at the airport grill and that her brownie recipe was a favorite of her good friend Ann Richards. Now Ann is gone too. Was it something in the brownies? Would Willie know? Surely Ann knew Willie, did Mrs. Watterson know him too?

Before this line of thought could lead down a road to a Louisiana traffic stop a side door opened and a 60ish wome in an American flag teeshirt came out and lit a smoke. Political junkie? The women asked me, "Who is flying in today?" Now this seemed a bit unusual and a great allegory of life hit me all of a sudden. Someone from the inside asked me, on the outside what's going on. I reacted normally, did not revel the great insight I was having, people ask me stuff all the time, and explained the event to smoking lady. Later it was apparent dog walking lady heard this exchange.

Smoking lady said, "So many on TV you done know who is who. Old Bush flew in here when he was running for governor and nobody even went out to get his autograph. Now look at him, he's president."

Yes, now look at him.

She finished the smoke and went back through the door. An SUV arrived and men in suits got out and went inside the main entrance. I noticed the camera man was gone. The dog walking lady came back by and said, "That man you were waiting for drove up, must be him, everyone clapped when he entered."

One of those days, I missed what I came for, but got something else. Now, figure out what it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger