Sunday, January 14, 2007

Updated Instrument pictures...

The internet is good for so many things. I had an email from Katie with a link to some pictures of instruments belonging to a friend. He had seen a few pictures I have posted here. I made an updated picture and shared it with him. A new person with a shared interest.

Also it is always good to have a record of valuables.

Anyway, here is a lifetimes collection:

I did not make any pictures of anything owned by other family members or of any banjos. This is just the stuff I use.

I also mailed him a picture of my tuba, since the uptake of that cross to bear is the thing that got all this music business started.

One thing I have never posted here in the various musical features I have had is a picture of my stompbox collection. A stompbox, for those that don't partake is a box full of electric gizmos and magic smoke (don't ever let the magic smoke out of an item of musical equipment, it will not work properly afterwards) that causes your instrument to take on other sound qualities that it never had before. Here is a picture of my stompboxes:

Stompboxes have been kind of a midlife crisis thing. I got by many years playing music without owning any. My wife says some people have midlife crisises that are much worse and this one has pretty much held in check due to a job layoff several years ago.

I think these stomp boxes have a direct link to the uptake of the cross, I mean tuba. No sense in getting too deep here, I have never worn a crown of thorns while playing a tuba, a viking helmet with horns, but no thorns. The link is the effort to recreate that great shiny ass cheeks flapping together small children fleeing sound that was embedded in my head that life changing day in 1969 that I first picked up a tuba. So no matter what instrument, and you see many different ones in the above picture, I have been subconsciously looking for a way to recreate that joyful thunder that has bounced around in my head for so long. That elusive "tuba tone" is something that just cannot be duplicated without employing modern electronic gadgets full of magic smoke.

I bet you did not know I studied this stuff so hard and that experiments are inconsistent and ongoing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger