Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Catching that Lighting Vibe...

You know what I do sometimes. I have written about it here. I Maybe look at an old wall that was around for a long time or maybe stand at an ancient bar somewhere trying to catch that vibe of all the people, especially if they are famous historical people. Most often that vibe I get is drunk and muddy. not me, but the famous people who have stood in the spot I'm in.



I stopped by Crockett Texas on the way back from College Station and snapped this photo of a statue of bluesman Lightning Hopkins that stands outside the Camp St. Cafe, a coffee house type music venue where he used to play. Lightning was from around these parts.



I have even played my guitar inside the Camp St Cafe where Lightning played his. It was at a guitar workshop conducted by a modern bluesman. He was showing us the right places to put our fingers. I was having trouble putting mine in those places. I don't think anyone else has ever commented to me that I was putting my fingers in the wrong places, but then I really don't talk about stuff like that too much, I just judge the emo vibe.



I think that's what Lightning did. He spent his later years by all reports laying on a cot in a rented room all day drinking gin till it was time to play. It is said that after a day of the gin drinking Lightning could not always put his fingers in the right places on the guitar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger