Monday, August 06, 2007

The Hit of the Summer...

You know the other neighbors have a big teenager they installed in the old dog hotel next door. They have been in and out this summer, the neighbors and the big teenager. I can kind of see why he is in and out. The windows are up, a tell tell sign of no air conditinor. Of course if you had to do without this would be the summer to do it. Seems like we have made it this far and the Texas heat is only just now setting in around here.

Any way I noticed they were blasting "Free Bird" on the boom box yesterday evening. Don't know if they had just got hold of dad's cds or what, but seems I first remember hearing that song in 1974. Course I would not have heard it yesterday, except the Tom Waits cd I was blaring, a section of sad songs he calls Bawlers in a recently released trilogy, ended. Tom Waits music is good music to dig by, which I was doing, digging a trench for an irrigation hose to the oleanders so I would not run over it with the mower again. Course I was thinking about what Jim White said, if I can kind of paraphrase, nothing like a good looking girl digging a heart shaped hole in the ground or something like that.

Now I don't pretend to be a good looking girl or was the hole heart shaped, but I do like old hits, especially when they were recorded in Kansas City by men in matching suits before the war. WW2 that is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger