Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sam Rayburn Odds and Ends...

In case you wonder what all this noodle business is about here is what they look like. Take one of those kids swim noddles, cut in four equal pieces, tie on a drop line, a sinker and bait with your favorite. I noticed an ebay search for cat fish turned up folks selling these.

Note the store bought one on the left, got it for my birthday. Catches fish, a little buoyant so it must be watched closely because it might not get jerked under as violently as the noodles. In Texas these things got to be mostly white and have your name on them. Might be a good idea to have the date to keep the game warden honest.

These mud hens ignored the heck out of us and were busy diving and feeding away in this shallow area. During duck season there is a bag limit of 15 on these guys. Supposedly they have a huge gizzard, I mean a whole handful each bird that is said to be tasty. I suspect the rest of the meat tastes about like what ever it is they are scooping off the bottom. And no, there has never been one of these birds or any part of one of them to swim in my belly.

Ok here is something serious. An invasive plant Giant Salvina has been found in Rayburn. This is a plant that was sold in the U.S. for aquarium use. It grows fast and kills a lake by covering the surface with a mat that prevents wave action that produces O2 exchange. Gets from lake to lake hung up on boat trailers and in livewells. There have been some Texas lakes to have areas closed off by a boom system to prevent the spread by wind and waves to uncontaminated areas. I have seen pictures of Lake Bastineau in Louisiana that show what looks to be a grassy pasture where the water should be. Only know thing that eats it is some type of weevil. We need a lot of those things fast. I look for some serious countermeasures. Fishing is big business from an economic standpoint in this state. Picture take at Hank's Creek Boat ramp. I am sure this sign is at all boat ramps by now.
Posted by Picasa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger