Friday, November 12, 2010

Chicago Street Musician...

I snapped this photo of a Chicago street drummer who brought to mind the old Texas based street drummer Bongo Joe. Joe (1923-1999) turned down a lot of real gigs to play for folks on the street. He was often invited to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Mode of operation there was said to be who ever picked Joe up at the airport stopped by the junk yard on the way to the fest where a discerning Joe picked out oil drums and other found items to make up his percussion set.
Better picture of the hat. And yeah, I paid the guy to play. I know how you have to hustle when selling your music. Any one interested in a mid 1990s cassette recorded with the church children's choir. I have about 75 of them in a back closet. The youngest kids singing on the tape are about 24 years old now to give you an idea how fast the product is moving. Price is negotiable. Money goes to the church building fund. The church got built, but like the cassettes it's not paid for yet either.
Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger