Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Music in Chicago...

Chicago has a long blues history and on our recent visit we checked out a few of the local scenes.

Here's Hollywood Scott at Chicago B.L.U.E.S. He's backed by a band known simply as the Chicago All stars. It was a good funky show, a bit loose as I think Hollywood was a fill in for some one who canceled. He kept saying things like, "now I'll play another song I don't know," or "on break I'll see what songs I have written on my sheet of paper." Kind of how my gigs go sometimes.

The whole band, other guitarist was named Luke. Kind of reminded me of a Chicago version of Beto.

Across the street from this club was another venue called Kingston Mines, one cover on Sunday night got you in both places, I thought Kingston Mines was a little touristy in a "Sweet Home Chicago"way which they were playing when we arrived. I think I could have set in and held my own. I don't think I could have hung with Hollywood.

Likewise a visit to Buddy Guy's club seemed a little tourist, but did see a nice trio, guitar, tuba and piano. Food looked like it might be good there. At the Double Door we saw Jason Isabell (former Drive By Trucker) and the 400 Unit with a very nice opening act called Langhorn Slim. Good venue for the American/indie stuff.

Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger