Saturday, August 31, 2013

Robert Earl Keen...




We saw Robert Earl Keen last night at the Pineywoods Fine Arts Series Concert in Crockett, Texas. REK always has a good show, a good band and this might be about the second or third time he's been a blog character on these pages. 

This series has some good acts and upcoming in October is a Polka Fest with Brave Combo playing. Sadly we are working that weekend. In this photo the good citizens of Crockett honored REK with a coonskin hat. It's like the 175th anniversary of the city which is the 4th oldest town in Texas. I kind of like that. While some argue over who is the oldest town Crockett lays uncontested claim to fourth which is by far better than none at all. Here's the band. 

Here's bass player Bill. He's playing what looks like an old Danoelectric longhorn bass for some authentic 1950s thump.I bet it's not a real Dano since they are some what a cheapo of an instrument but a reissue by Jerry Jones, a Nashville guitar maker. 

One thing about REK is there is plenty of merchandise for sale at his shows. There were of course CDs, shirts, a guitar, a bunch of used books on cowboys from REK's personal collection and the usual stickers and couzees as well as the drummers drum heads and CDs by the band members. I bought this bass players cd. I was cheaper than the rest and that's kind of how I do, sell myself a little cheaper. 

The band closed with a nice acoustic version of a Billy Joe Shaver song.    Posted by Picasa

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger