Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Here's Good News...


Saturday evening as I sat on the beach house deck with family gathered around we watched a U.S. Coast Guard search unfold. I snapped a photo right before dusk of this Coast Guard boat from the porch. Zoomed up and cropped a little I think it looks a bit like a painting. I did not have such artistic thoughts at the time as the currents were strong that day and I figured it was a search for a body. 

As the boat headed up the Texas coast from the Freeport ship channel a big helicopter swept from San Luis Pass to the jetty and back several times. As dark fell the search stopped. The boat turned back and headed to the channel. I  think people have been drowning at the pass it the treacherous currents there for centuries. Reportedly Samuel Williams, a financier of the Texas Revolution spotted a floundering ship at the pass bringing a piano he had ordered to the island. He rushed down and the valuable  instrument was saved.  History does not recall if there was a human cost involved in floating it to shore through swift currents. Juan, who is a local state trooper has told me most drownings in this area involve parents drinking alcohol and forgetting to watch the kids. On Memorial Day there were 6 drownings in this area. 

This story ends happy. A  51 year old man falls off a small sail boat. He has on a life jacket. He swims to shore. He has big story to tell at work on Monday. Read the Coast Guard report here.  

Wearing a life jacket was a smart thing. In addition the above mentioned reasons for drowning people do dumb stuff while boating or fishing. Like not wearing sting ray guards while wade fishing. My stung foot is better today and I'll have a story to tell on my return to work tomorrow. I will be smarter like this guy and wear my equipment when on the water as accidents on the Texas coast don't always have happy endings.       Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger