Monday, November 11, 2013

Remembering the Vets...



Here's a few photos from my dad's World War Two service. Top photo is from Camp Fannin in  Tyler, Tx. where he did his basic training. It's cropped from a panoramic photo of the whole unit and my dad is end of the third row from the top. I would guess it dates from fall 1943. Camp Fannin trained infantry. These guys saw combat and because they were all infantry the casualty rates for those training here were higher that the overall WW2 rate. 

Second photo is probably after the war. My dad is on the right. Last photo is unidentified U.S. service personal walk through the Arc de Triumph in Paris. This photo is also from my dad's collection and is cropped up close. 

Here is a link to a recording I played on and it dates from fall 2005. Written by Dave Sarver it honors a vet he knew badly wounded in Iraq. Personal on the recording are Dave, vocals and guitar, LaRae vocals and keys, Jason on drums and me on bass and lap steel. Recorded by Dixon Shanks on pro tools. It's a rough mix and I think they may have taken the lap steel off and put on a cello. Stuff like that happens to you in the studio. On recent listening my bass sounds a bit like I listened to Down By the River too many times. 

Here's the link to This Ones for Sgt. Ryan

Thanks to the guys in the old photo. Some came back, some did not. Ryan came back but faces a life of hard ship because of his wounds. Let's remember and pray for them.      Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger