Tuesday, April 01, 2014

One Stringers...

I made three one string diddly bows yesterday. The diddly bow is derived from instruments found in West Africa. We all know how these got to the rural Southern United States of America and they are rarely found outside the south. This recalls the old saying "East, West and North are directions. The south is a place." Modern bluesman Jack White of the White Stripes makes a diddly bow at the beginning of the movie "It Might Get Loud." 

Here are the diddly bows I made. They are designed to be a low cost addition to my product line. I think I am getting pretty close to having a show of some sort, kind of like a cooking show on cable TV where I build a guitar in front of an audience, play a set of music and educate on the possibilities of simple music, blues history and fun. On a lot of levels this will combine teaching, presenting and playing music which are the things I am good at. I might get it all together one of these days. I think Professor Longhair said that one night after a gig at Tipitina's. He passed the next day.   

Here's the guitars. They are for sale. I'll take $15 bucks each. If you don't think this is a deal check the auction sites. They are electric. Play them on your lap with any metal or glass slider type thing. If you want that stinging, trebley, single note, Muddy Waters  Mississippi Delta slide sound but don't want to shell out the bucks for a Telecaster and a 1960s Fender Super Reverb amp here is the thing for you. 


French Market can build is a nod to the old south. 

These are made from the cans that the pre mix fuel for chain saws and weed eaters come in. 

Space age rawkish headstock design. 

Primitive head stock. 

Plug it in and wail. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger