Thursday, April 10, 2014

Shinyribs...

We went to our new favorite hang out, Under the Volcano last night. Mary was with us and we met Morgan and Ali there for a show by Shinyribs. If you don't know Shinyribs his real name is Kevin Russell and he used to be in an Austin band the Gourds. 

We last saw Shinyribs at a Discovery Green free concert last summer. That series starts up in May and there are some good bands scheduled. At that gig he was with a full band. This one he played 6 string uke and acoustic guitar. The music is a nice mix of original tunes with all kinds of snatches of unexpected covers worked in. You don't often hear country covers and Third Stone From the Sun all worked into a set but this is where Shinyribs lives and so do I. 
These photos were taken with my smart phone. They are a little grainy but I think you might get the idea of how the evening felt. Guy stands up on a stage in a Houston night club all by his lonesome. He gives it heck. It's a great show. 

This weekend I know some folks that will be at the Old Settler's Festival. Shinyribs will be there. Look for a good time during his set. 

By the way we spent our last night at Morgan and Ali's apartment. Next time we spent the night with them it will be in their new house. Parking is heck at that complex with too few visitor spots. Last time there we gave up looking and parked in a permit spot and suffered no penalty. We tried that again and awoke to find the truck towed. I did not feel so bad when Morgan told me that on one occasion he had also been towed at his own complex. 

Oh well it was the kind of trouble that if ya got money, you can fix it. Anyway Go catch Shinyribs. He will make it all right for cheap.  


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger