Sunday, June 29, 2014

They All Ax For You...

This another segment in my "They All Ax For You" series. That's the title of a little Mardi Gras novelty song that the New Orleans band, the Meters recorded in 1975. For some reason when ever I look at animals I think about that song. It is a little bit about animals. When ever I think about the Meters I think about the Neville Brothers, another New Orleans family band that shared some common band personal with the Meters. I think about one particular time I saw the Neville Brothers play. 

It was at the old Jimmy's Bar at the end of the street car line. I think Jimmy's might be open again after being closed for some years but has had some nuevo New Orleans type troubles where well to do hipsters move into a funky old neighborhood and then get their feelings hurt when the local loud music bars that mad ethe neighborhood all funky and sweaty keep on doing their thing even when the hipsters, who by now have learned that money generally gets you your way, want local loud music to stop at their bedtimes. It was not like this when I made Jimmy's and saw the Nevilles, the Fabulous Thunderbirds and other such bands that really rocked, funked and played long and loud. You could see these bands right close up in these places I am not sure the Nevilles played the song "They All Ax For You" the night I saw them but They did play a song I remember well. Arron Neville, a very imposing figure of a man was playing cowbell. Waves of Hammond B3 organ washed through the place. As Arron kept time with his cowbell it seemed that the main words of the song, repeated over and over, and sang looking right at me were "Hey Wa Penie." Maybe it just seemed he was looking at me and maybe or maybe not he was singing "hey Wa Penie." Years later Arron did look at me as I made his photo talking to Rose and Katie behind the stage at Jazz fest when they were about 6 or 7 years old. I took his look real serious that night like he was telling me not to ever sing a song with the words "Hey Wa Penie" and I never have. 

Anyway what got me thinking about all this was animals looking at me and axing for me. These are the cows that live next door. Cathy says I must look like the man that brings them range cubes. 







See, they do Ax for me. 

I know a good writer should be able to sum up what all this means in a closing paragraph. All I got is this:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger