Monday, June 23, 2014

The Hobo Model Guitar...

I think it's human nature when you have been having some success to turn around and go backwards sometimes. I think I maybe did this on this particular guitar build as it is a bit more primitive than what you have been seeing me build but to the good thing is that from this prototype I have some ideas for new things in the future.  

I call this the Hobo guitar. I guess it's because it looks like a hobo made it. 
Instead of making the top of the cigar box the sound board I flipped it over and used the wooden bottom as the sound board.  I have been told most wooded cigar boxes are Spanish Cedar which is a desirable tone wood.  

Next time I will center the logo more with the sound hole. 

This is the reason I chose to flip the box around. It has the surgeon general's warning in prominent view. While I agree with the general that smoking is dangerous I probably would not buy a box with this on the front  and after all I am in the business of selling these little guitars I make. There are no electrics on this guitar. It's totally acoustic. 

Headstock. 

A look in the soundhole. I have made a few guitars from 1950s ceder boxes. These and even some of the modern boxes have a edge liner of thin ceder strips that I have to remove before cutting into the box for the neck. I save these strips and use them for bridges and in this case I created a bracing system for the top so it doesn't warp since the neck is not through the body. 

How does it sound. Here's a link

Since this is a protype and a little less than some of my others and techniques learned and developed will be used in other guitars I'll sell this thing for $30.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger