Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Bank Fishing...

Waters still run high at Texas lakes. My usual ramp on Rayburn is closed but I get lots of reports of catfish caught on the rock rip raps and the concrete boat ramp parking lots. We never got to launch the boat during our Lake Somerville camp out and if you check out the Birch Creek Campground facebook page you will see that the water has still been rising there. We did manage to find some good fishing at a "family Fishing Pond" as it was called located an easy walk just down the road from our camp site.

Sign on the Nails Creek Ramp which was across the lake from us. It just closed that morning. If I had launched the day before, motored across the lake to camp I'd be renting a marina stall and calling this lake head quarters till August. 

Of course Warren thinks he can launch and I remember when I used to be the same way. 

Matt holds up a basket of catfish he and Cathy caught. The pond was stocked with just keeping size very pretty spotted channel cats. We probably caught about 40 of these plus some throw backs with Matt doing most of the damage.  . 

Pop holds up a catfish from the lake. He's swimming in Pop's belly right now. 

What's that in the water? 

It's just BD. Surprisingly enough we caught catfish with BD trying to retrieve our corks.  

This is BD's "did I do something?" look. 

Morgan and Ali put hard eyes on their child. They are going to be good parents. 

No Cathy is not on a mission trip to spread the catfish gospel around the world. She is just showing off her catch and letting the kids have fun holding a fish. 

Next day I awake to 25 Asian people walking down the road with fishing poles toward the pond. Pictures of Cathy the kids and the fish are out there on someone's facebook page. The power of social media. After a while I walked down and check to see if they were having luck. They were using minnows and little girl about waist high to me looked up and said, "how long for bites? Hours, minutes?" Guess I should have gave them some cat bait so the kids could catch some fish. Or maybe let BD come down and splash around for a while. 





1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Maxwell said...

Much the opposite just to the west. Here, boat ramps are now opening for the first time in a couple of years, as water levels once again rise to reach them.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger