Thursday, September 01, 2016

Still Biking...

Our busy summer and the hot temps have cut down on local biking. We have still managed bike rides on a couple of our recent vacations. In New Orleans there is bike rental in the French Quarter and in Chicago the PK have a nice selection of machines. Cathy actually did find a bike rack for the car at the Salvation Army thrift here in Lufkin but the opportunity to transport and bike has not easily presented it's self. 

Here a few shots of New Orleans riding. Cathy heads up river with the French Quarter to her right and Canal Street up ahead. 


We loaded our bikes on the ferry for a ride to the West Bank. Great riding trail there. It was a bit nerve wracking riding bikes in the Quarter. The streets were designed for horse and buggies and as you ride you never get passed by the same vehicle twice. First it's a passenger car, then a dump truck, then an ambulance, a horse and buggy, a police car, a limo, a fire truck, a guy pushing a piano on a two wheeled dolly and anybody without a beer has been already given one. You can see our bike at the front of the ferry,.   


Ferry boat jumps the wake of a freighter for us. 


Statue of Louis Armstrong on the west bank. The other guy is a tuba player. 


Selfie. It came a pretty good rain on us but with the New Orleans humidity I was soaking wet already. 


Sights of the west bank. The old Duverje Plantation. The original home which was built by slaves dates from 1812 and was destroyed in the fire of 1895. This building was finished in 1896. 




Back down river in this photo. 


Now for bike riding in Chicago. Both Chicago and New Orleans are flat places I can ride a bike a lot further and faster than I can in Lufkin 


This photo in Garfield Park. It's the is this bike making my butt look big photo. I thought I looked kind of skinny in the New Orleans pictures, but wait those were made before all the shrimp and grits. 


Katie and Cathy get ready for a ride. 


Here's Peter on what they call the hipster Highway. It runs through downtown, Wiker Park and Logan Square. All popular hipster hang outs. Nice bike lanes in Chicago. 


Along Lake Michigan. I don't know how far we rode this day but we left at about 11:30am and returned 11:30pm. There were stops for the Science and Industry Museum, the Chicago Dance Festival in Millennium Park, a bit to eat and so on. Until someone advises me better I am going to guess 15-25 miles riding.   



 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger