Saturday, July 22, 2017

Hidden Village...

Some say "location, location, location." They think that's the answer. Some think about the old ways and don't really want to be found. Keep in mind that in New Waverly, Tx the persimmon orchard where beat writer Bill Burroughs laid up shooting guns and entertaining On the Road wild men Kerouac and Cassady is a closely guarded local secret. There's a place in Lufkin like that and while shooting guns won't be a thing here it's going to be a cool lay up. 

I am talking about Blackspot Tattoo Company and their new headquarters. It's a great old building on a quiet street. It used to be a car dealership beginning in the late 1940s up until sometime in the 70s. I can remember going there as a child with my dad to shop cars. 

Inside Ben shows off the artist work area. 


Sara


Katie, the Tiny Tattooist gets on down to the business at hand.  


Of course there will be food. Expect Old Souls Food Truck to be there. Tom and Mike pictured below wear kilts. I did not ask about that. I'm sure cooler in the East Texas summers and all. 


Jenny at the food table. Plenty of nice indoor and outdoor spaces. A lot of work still to be done but we have been invited to play and I can't wait to see how a guitar sounds bouncing notes off these old walls.  


Friends and family all on hand for food and fun. 


I have to admire the work ethic that it takes to fix up an old place like this. I can't imagine this area was in real good shape to begin but hard work has paid off in a timely and timeless manner. You do know they are right about that hard work thing don't you?  


Flash on the wall. 


Art hangs all over the place. 


Katie at work. 


Sara consults with clients. Blackspot Tattoo is a tattoo gun free shop. All work is ink dot. As far as I know this may be the only shop like this in Texas and people are starting to notice. I recently toured a tattoo exhibit at the museum in Chicago and guess what? Ink dot really is the old way.  


So check these folks out. I mean if you can find it. You will or you won't. The Hidden Village referred to in the title of this blog post is not something I have made up. It's a dream some people had and they are making it come true.  




     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger