Monday, August 07, 2017

Things Seen in the Woods...

I spend a good bit of time out and about in the great outdoors. Bad thing about that is so do other humans. If you follow on these pages you have seen things I find. I don't make photos of out and out garbage because face it, it is there to be seen on most Texas Highways and country roads and we have all seen the fast food wrappers and big giant soda cups that are 20 miles from the nearest outlet of hunger gratification. I like to make photos of things that seem like people have gone to a good bit of trouble to dump in the woods. Things that might well have been disposed of very easily in the proper way. Last week we took a cruise on the Angelina River after it comes out of the Sam Rayburn Lake Dam and I spotted a couple of things that while they may not be out and out litter certainly were worth the photo. 

Here is the first thing. Looks like a 1972 walk through windshield Glastron boat. Walk through windshield is what we called these boats when I was a kid. Looks like Glastron still makes a boat like this and it's much sleeker, cooler and they call it a bowrider. My best guess is that a raging wall of water 40 to 50 feet higher that the level you see here lodged a boat swept from it's moorings high on this river bluff. I might be wrong. It could have been a late night drunken boat launch plan that that was meant to avoid the possible DWI a drive to the boat ramp would court and then just went all wrong from there.   

You still see one of these tubs now and then on the lake. I have even seen one tied up to an oil rig snapper fishing a windless late summer Gulf of Mexico day. With the price of a modern bass boat running 60 thou I bet you could have this up and running $10,000 easy. 


Warren keeps a look out on the river cruise. 


Ok what's this? I guess you could say maybe it was a frugal man's attempt at some erosion control. There are quite a number of nice looking houses all along the river and there are various ways that land owners have protected their property. This installation looks like 75 toilet bowels exploded.     


I mean if this was in a third world country would we applaud the resourcefulness of the wretchedly ethnic people? Does it look like a good idea to you? 

Somehow I could not make a photo that really did this justice. 


Cruise on, see what you can see. Haul your trash out. Tie your boat up well. Use and reuse I guess. 



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger