Saturday, June 16, 2018

Canoe Afternoon...

I took the canoe out yesterday afternoon. It's what I do when Cathy is busy with something else. Occasionally I catch fish but canoeing is kind of a health plan for me. The exercise of paddling, the quietness compared to the noise of an outboard and the strengthening of lifting and loading the boat. At this age there might be only so many times I am able to do that left in my life.  

I put in and paddled around the cove at Caney Creek Park. I got this photo of a blue heron sitting and trying to look like a dead pine limb. If you recall one of the hurricanes, as it moved up through East Texas came right through this park. Lots of trees were knocked down, it was closed for a while and one camping loop looks like it will never open again. That's too bad as there was built a nice concessions building that is closed and I think there used to be a pretty fair swimming area. There is still a good boat ramp and parking lot and if you like tent camping you will like it here. The dead tree this bird is in was probably drowned by the high water from several years ago. There is probably a blog post with us paddling around picnic tables catching fish.  


I did not catch a bunch of fish today. I caught three brim and I mainly fished for bass just to see if I could still do it. This one liked a plastic frog. I like a plastic frog also. You cast it out and as you reel in in the little feet flap the water. I missed several strikes and finely hooked this guy. 



I think I left the house about 2:30. It's been a bit windy on the lake in the afternoons and I did not really start getting hits till it calmed down. I'll try not to be so excited to go early next time. That way I won't be tired from paddling and my arms won't be fatigued from thrashing the water to a froth. As I say, might not be too many trips left to go. 


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Father's Day Dad! When you stop paddling around in that Canoe Peter will buy it from you ;-)!

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger