Wednesday, June 13, 2018

I Have Occasionally Felt Pregnant While Playing a Gig...

Yeah, you stand up there your back to the drum riser ready to make a stand. Live music and the possibility feels endless. Something is fixing to happen, creativity born this transcendental moment and sounds never before heard in the world are loosened. Then some other dude in the band kicks off "Margaritaville" or "Roadhouse Blues" and suddenly you find yourself playing that same old white boy crap that has always been played, usually badly in jam sessions and gigs all across the land. I guess I have never been pregnant on  stage but Leyla McCalla sure was when we saw her at Jazz Fest. 

Leyla McCalla is a Haitian American musician living in New Orleans. Formerly a member of the string band The Carolina Chocolate Drops she sings in French, Haitian Creole and English.  She plays cello, tenor banjo and guitar. I like her music a lot. 

Leyla is eight months pregnant with twins in this photo. She played two gigs this day on the Heritage stage and in the Lagniappe tent. It was her last gig before taking time off. The twins were born May 23rd and named Zade and Zaya. Leyla resumes playing in September. 


Good backing band. 

I did not get the fiddle players name. 



Check out some music with possibility. 



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger