Friday, May 11, 2018

Sonic Cajun Music...

So you went down to New Orleans there Mudbelly and you must have eaten good Cajun food and seen some zydeco. Well actually I ate at a Spanish restaurant and I heard one Cajun band. They are called the Lost Bayou Ramblers and this is music you should listen to.

To fill you in the group has been performing since 1999. They started out as you might expect, two brothers carrying on a fine old time family tradition. It has grown from there with the band contributing to the film score of the movie Beast of the Southern Wild to last years regional roots rock Grammy winning release "Kalenda."  

I mentioned this is sonic Cajun music. The band sings in French using traditional melodies but steps on into the sounds of other genres to make music that is suitable for any venue north of I-10. I liked them. I bough a cd. You should also.

One thing I liked about these guys was despite the pile of fine looking Fender amps and large closed back cabinets in this photo they had pretty working class kind of gear. Alverez, Squier, and Epiphone are fine instruments but nothing really fancy or high dollar. I have instruments of those brands at home myself. They get the job done as you can see here. 



If you going to play in South Louisiana you need to dress for the gig and nothing says style like this sportsman's jump suit. My dad and most of his brothers wore this kind of thing and one day if I beg enough or she dies first my wife might let me wear something like this to a gig. 

That's Louis Michot on fiddle and brother Andre on accordion and lap steel. 


Nothing says power like two triangles in a band. 


I love that Cajun lap steel sound. 


Matter of fact on the first day of JazzFest we caught Louis jamming with a band called the Rayo brothers. I think it was his brothers. Keeping it family. That's how I like to play. 

The Rayo Brothers were more Americana/Southern Gothic sound if you need to put a name on it. 



You can't go wrong getting out to hear music. It might turn out to be people doing what you least expect. 
    

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger