Friday, November 02, 2018

Swing Music...

To celebrate Bill Cooney's 87th birthday me and Cathy took him and Geneva to McGonigel's Mucky Duck in Houston to see Emily Gimble and the Marshal Ford Band. Emily is the Grand Daughter of Texas Playboy fiddle player and member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Johnny Gimble. Marshal Ford is apparently the place where you crossed the river before the Mansfield Dam and Lake Travis went in. 


This was swing music at it's best. Of course they covered the old Texas favorites but and stretched it out to perform Louie Jordan numbers and a great version of Sweet Georgia Brown. Lot of originals by all band members. Great guitar by Greg Harkins. Drums by James Gwyn, bass by Kristopher Wade and fiddle by Danny Levin. All these guys are in other great bands. This is just a sideline for them to play good music. This was a cd release party and I purchased their last two releases.  


This was laying in a bar booth after the show. It's Greg's guitar rig, a great vintage set up of old Gibson archtop guitar and a 50s Gibson amp. Us the right stuff to get the right sound. 




Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger