Sunday, December 23, 2018

Big Slough Wilderness Area...

Saturday afternoon me and Matt took a drive to The Big Slough Wilderness Area. I've posted photos and hunting reports many times on my trips over here. It's a very nice isolated place to spend time in nature. 

Here is the bridge over the creek. It's part of the Four C Hiking Trail. It's called that because much of it follows The old Central Coal and Coke Company railroad bed. The 4 c was the largest sawmill 1904-1918 and they moved on because all the trees were gone. So I would say while there is good big timber still around it probably dates to post 1918. While hiking there is pleanty of bodies of water but the Forest Service recommends no drinking because of chemical runoff, not ever if you have a filtering system. I been looking at those systems or personal use and I guess they are not failsafe. 


The bottoms are flooded. We jumped several small bunches of wood ducks. I might make a hunting trip over there next week some time. I have not killed my yearly duck yet. 


A warm December afternoon had the snakes out. Here's a Gulf Coast Ribbon snake. A member of the garter snake family they eat cold blooded food like frogs, tadpoles, fish and so on.


Mat stands on the high ground part of the big slough with his go pro camera. So much water in the bottom it's a bit tricky walking around because with water in so many places it throws off your sense of where your land marks are. I can usually walk straight to this spot but I somehow over shot it on this hike. 


Neches River viewed
 looking downstream from the Anderson Crossing Bridge. 9.2 miles downstream is the Highway 7 bridge. There is a
 dirt launch for canoes and small boats. 


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger