Sunday, July 21, 2019

Catfishing By Myself...

I often take the canoe out by myself for quiet backwater paddles. I rarely take the big boat out alone because it's a big boat and a trip in it starts a party that usually ends with a fish fry on the porch. I did have a chance to slip off to the lake in the big boat by myself this past week and it's good to know I can put a decent amount of catfish in the cooler without the help of the usual catfish pirate crew.

No great size to these fish compared to the shallow water slip cork spring fishing and I had a lot of throw backs and had to stop and measure a bunch of the keepers but the deep water bite is on and in about 35' of water you can find them suspended about 5 reel cranks up. 

I made this guy's photo several times as he hovered about finding good perches on stumps just sticking above the waterline. That's an obstacle to be watching out for as the hot summer continues on and lake levels drop from near record highs. 

In addition to the blue heron fishing my area I noted on our trip last week someone had a string tied to one of my favorite spots. I pulled it up and it was a sealed 5 gallon bucket with some type of chum. Maybe that's the reason for fishing running small. Increased fishing activity getting the big boys. In addition to the bucket tied on a string I snagged something and pulled it up and it was another 5 gallon bucked not tied to a string so looks like serious baiting going on in a spot that as far as I know has been secret. 



Not much to look at but this box of fish made 5 pounds of fine eating fillet meat soon to swim in a belly near you. 


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger