Friday, October 11, 2019

The Dog Blog Post...

I used to have dogs and I liked them. I don't have them now and certainly don't want one but recent remembrances, ancient history and the Lufkin Daily News Police reports certainly has me thinking about them. 

I had a dog one time called Buckwheat. Maybe one of the best dogs I ever had and for sure one that caused the least amount of trouble. If I ever figure out the difference between a dog that causes trouble and one that don't I'll write a blog about that too. Old Buck was good and I would let him drink Schaefer beer and drive the boat. 

Recently remembering good times gone by a friend sent me a photo of Buckwheat, also taken at the lake. The Back of the photo says, "Carl's dog singing while they were fishing, Oct 25, 1987. That's 32 years ago. 

It was easy to make Buck sing. You could just start howling, you could play the harmonica or you could put on a Peter Tosh Album called "No More Nuclear War" which had a song that opened with a wolf howl and Buck would raise his voice in song. If you are wondering about the title of the Tosh album it came out during the Reagan years when Ronnie once made the announcement into what he thought was a dead mic that the bombers had been launched and his Secretary of State Al Haig suggested that a nuclear "warning shot" was an effective diplomatic opening to get Russia's attention. 

Speaking of the end of civilization that brings us to the Egyptians and Romans and their relationship with their animals. They did not give them Schaefer beer to drink but we know the Egyptians dressed their cats in clothes and the Romans once elected a dog mayor. Where are these people now? This summer I saw a family swimming at the lake. The dog had on a life jacket. The kids did not. As songwriter Randy Newman says if I may paraphrase, our time at the top may be over. 

All this brings me to the Lufkin Daily News Police report. Each day they have something about a dog in it such as:
A man called officers and reported his ex would not return his dog. 
or:
A woman called in a report said she walked her dog and two dogs barked at her. 
or:
A man reported to ACSO that a dog came in his yard. 

As I said earlier Buckwheat was a dog I had that caused the least amount of trouble. While I was wondering if these things should even be in the police report my wife, from whom many good things come came up with a game we could play. She said read a police report item inserting the word "dog." 

"A dog stole sunglasses and cologne from a truck in the __ block of __ Avenue Wednesday."

"A dog was arrested passed out in his vehicle in the Taco Bell Drive thru"

I think you get it. I may have made up the part about electing a dog mayor. The stuff about Reagan and Haig and our time at the top is the truth. If you want to make the police report real funny take a drink of Schaefer beer every time you insert the word dog.  





Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tonia said...

I love this!

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger