Friday, May 08, 2020

When you want it to sound different...

I don't know how this happened. I own an even dozen of various fuzz, overdrive and distortion pedals. 
Back in the good old days when I started out playing electric music you would meet up with some other guys in an old house somewhere or in someone's back yard and plug into some old Fender amps, sometimes two guys plugged into one amp if there were not enough to go round and we would wail away all night long playing blues, Buddy Holly, and Carl Perkins with the attitude of Jerry Lee Lewis. We did not know what a pedal was. 

Just in case you don't know what a pedal is the various circuits, and there are really not that many circuits in the world are how the bands you like created their sounds. Fuzz gets you the distorted singing tones of Hendrix who used the fuzzface type circuits, Pink Floyd is the Big Muff circuits. Overdrive puts you in the ball park of SRV blues sound and distortion is just generally the rock and roll guitar you have heard on many records. 

I guess this fascination with pedals I have cultivated is caused by the internet where you can go down the rabbit hole of how to get certain sounds and the electronic minutiae of transistors converting impulse to sound. 

Here's my latest favorite, purchased since the group photo was made. It's handmade by a guy probably working at his kitchen table who calls himself dongeomac and can be found for sale on the musical instrument internet market place called Reverb. He makes what you might call "tweaked circuits" based on older designs but his own twists added. I have three of his pdals. They can be unusual sounding, they are cheap and have a nice homemade look I like. This is a bass fuzz and it sounds so good on guitar I have not tried it on bass yet.       


This fuzz sounds good with my low pass modulation filter. We will get into modulation some other time. 

I guess to wrap all this up we will just say when you go down a road, it will take you there. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger