Thursday, April 02, 2020

First April Catfish Report...

So I guess we are left with fishing. In the age of Covid 19 precautions boat ramps are open. I suggest you check on State Park facilities and I believe many campgrounds are closed but on the water activity is fine. Yesterday we took long lost cousin Runt Brewster fishing. He was asymptomatic, had been at home and only complained a little when we took his temperature but then that complaint was more about the method than the motive. 

Runt is kin to me through the Nerren side of my family. I think our third great grandfathers were brothers. We probably knew each other 20 years before we discovered this and have spent some good days fishing, playing music and taking martial arts classes which is where we met. 


Final total was 44 cats but it took us about 6 hours to accomplish this so fish was quite a bit slower than it had been. I attribute this to the clear skies. The wind was out of a good direction for our spots but the clear skies make then a little shy is the shallow water. Cloudy windy days are the best. 

Runt kept most of the fish but we retained enough to swim in our bellies for supper. I blackened then in an iron skillet using Cavender's Greek Seasoning in insead of a cajun spice. It was ok. With plenty of fresh catfish on hand we are trying new recipies. So far the biggest hit is oil fillets, roll in cajun cornmeal mix such as Zaterain's and bake at 450 for 15 minutes. If baked catfish like this better for you than fried Cathy says we might out live our retirement money but that might be a moot point the way things are going. 

See you on the lake, I'm off from work so that's about all we have this week. 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger