Friday, July 31, 2020

Ratcliff Lake Canoe Fishing...

I figured once I retired I would be doing stuff like buying a cheap Astros tickets and running down to catch a few more ball games than I normally would and I did have reservations for live music this summer that have since been canceled all due to the changes the danger of Covid has brought to us. One door closes another opens. A purchase of a $30 U.S. Forest Service parking permit gets me in all the boat ramps I use on Rayburn and also Ratcliff Lake. I think I have got my monies worth from the Ratcliff visits alone this summer. 

Here's an example of one of the four big bream I caught. This is a certified lunker for this species. I have always caught fish at Ratcliff, even on hot summer days like this. I was just thinking I don't think I have ever fished a really prime time like spring when the spawn is on or fall when coming cool makes everything want to fill up a belly. Maybe I'll try that this fall. 


We have taken several swims this summer at this lake. Go out about midweek, 3-5 in the afternoon. The swimming area has receded into shade and there is very few people around. It's been typical to meet one party leaving as we arrive and another arriving as we leave. I don't know what kind of weekend crowd there might be. 

Park facilities are well groomed and bathrooms are clean. I have never seen and staff but some one is doing a great job. 


After fishing, all fish CPR (catch photo release) I sat overlooking the lake for a sardine shore lunch. I advise you to visit, just not early in the morning when I might have the fishing all to myself or midweek afternoons when we are out for a swim. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger