Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Bream Fishing Report...

I was not the only fisherman on the lake this morning. I was the only one in a canoe probably but I did spot a kayak that took a spin on the water from a campsite. I did not see him fish. I was there to fish and using light tackle and small lures I managed to catch enough fish for a nice lunch.  

Most of the fish I caught we call them bream in the south. Actually I think this colorful specimen is a long eared sunfish. I just fished around the boat ramp cove where I launched and with a swimming area and a camp ground there is lots of open, clean bank. All these fish were caught where there was some brush in the water so they were pretty spotty, one fish here and there whenever there was a bush in the water. Best baits were the faithful crappie slider and a beetle spin dressed with a gulp minnow which is some kind of scented fish food molded into a jig body shape. I have had pretty good luck on this even though it does not look like much.

   No lunkers like over at B. A. Steinhagen Lake which has had an explosion of weed growth brought on I was told by a park volunteer by the warmer than normal winter making fishing light lines and lures harder.. 

There is no size restriction on these boys so fry them all nice and crisp.     

It's pleasant on the water and these turtles are enjoying it. Once I got home as I was finishing with the fish cleaning chores I walked out on the patio to a narrow edge catching the morning sun. I was barefooted and it burned my feet. I can't really recall that happening before in the 38 years I have lived here.  

Final catch was 8 bream. Not a record but a nice paddling work out and not too many to clean. That's when it starts to get hot, standing at the cleaning table, unloading the boat and disposing of fish guts. 

My cat, Balls thinks catfish is better eating. Cathy says it was the best lunch she had in a a while and asked what time I was fishing tomorrow.  

 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger