Sunday, November 06, 2022

Weekend at The Old Mill Music Festival...

For our third Rpod camping adventure we spent the weekend at the Old Mill Festival In Kennard, Tx. We arrived on Thursday for three nights of camping fun with the days filled with old time music, jam sessions, work shops on various instruments and techniques, square dancing, a tornado watch and concerts. It's also about the people. You meet people, talk to people, play music with people and then decide which festival you will see them at next. 

It seems in the hustle and bustle of the last few years of life I have gotten out of the habit of sitting and talking with new people or trying my hand at some different musical thing. It's been a constant beat that guy to a seat on the plane or pack the gear up for the next gig kind of run and gun and maybe I need a new attitude. Old Time music combined with the RV lifestyle go hand in hand with bringing people together so they are not worrying about the price of gas or what Trump done last night.      
 We usually call our get away sets ups Camp Catfish so we may have to come up with a new name. Maybe this was camp guitar. 

There were lots of areas to relax and you could wander the grounds looking for a jam session to fit in with. I'll write more on the music and workshops later. 

Here you see the Cajun Prairie Tri-eaux driving the dancers with Louisiana accordion and fiddle tunes. I wanted to call this a bluegrass fest and there was some bluegrassy/country kind of music but it was old Americana at it's best with sounds of banjo and fiddle reels heard everywhere.    

Lone Star Feed was the square dance band. This stage was about 60' from my camper bunk and I fell asleep last night, like a baby I might add to the sounds of a square dance. 

The Wright family are the organization behind this festival. I think this was number 11. I have had this on my calendar for some tome but it was always a work weekend for us.  


I think I sleep better in the camper than I do at home. Maybe when I'm out and about in the camper I'm busier, more engaged with life or something. I know our new hobby of maintaining and improving an 11 year old camper keeps us busy. 

Get the Old Mill Festival on your schedule. It's fun. 

 

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger