Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Camping and Fishing Report...


Spring break camping at Hanks Creek is in the books. Me and Cathy camped with Geneva, most of the kids and 6 out of 8 grandkids for 3 nights. For the fishing report we boated 40 catfish, 8 bass, 1 gasper gou and two turtles. 

Parker takes big fish honors with a 3.5 pound bass. Like all good bass fishermen her comment on first hooking it was, "I'm hung." Her dad, Morgan was casting open face reels with great authority by the time he was 6 or 8 years old. Park might advance faster than that and it's hard to believe she is just 4 years old sometimes. 

Warren lands a big gasper gou or a freshwater drum. These are good eating if you prepare according to directions I once read in a Paul Prudhomme cook book, "always fresh never more than a few hours old," or the meat will be chewy in a rubbery kind of way.   

I limited on bass, the first time I have caught this many keepers in years. My dad and I always bass fished but I have gotten out of the habit of pursuing them in favor of the catfish so this was great fun. I used the same bait I often used fishing with my dad, a floating Rapala fished on a windy point.   

Hey, where's all those people off to in my boat? 


As I write this my computer shows 45 degrees. The weather was nice camping and I am ready for the short pants barefoot times of summer. 


Mary and Miguel's camp hosts a good breakfast. 
I think someone might be a little competitive, especially if Parker is catching them and he's not. 

It's nice to know that Pop Pop has plenty of help getting fish in the boat. 
 


 

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger