Thursday, March 09, 2023

Yelling Out the Backdoor...

We have a little game we play around here when we are alone to test out grandkid names. We stand at the backdoor and yell the name with all the fake urgency that can be mustered into the wilds of the yard. Lately we have been yelling:

MILO EUGENE ZAMORA GET YOUR ASS IN HERE! 

It's a test just to see how it rolls off the tongue. I think this name will tumble out well. 


Now of course we would not really call a grandkid in this way. You can imagine all sitting down to a dinner at our table, it's all set with my mouther's pink rose china pattern that she bought in the late 1940s before she was married to my dad and all heads are bowed in reverent and appropriate postures of thankful grace for the thoughtfulness of adults who go ahead and serve meatball, wieners and other delicacies so kids will eat without any fuss and someone sings out:

GRANDMA GET YOUR ASS IN HERE! 

It's not a good look. 

Eugene is my middle name. I was called Carl Gene by my parents up until my teenage years when I realized that I could have a say in my fate and that name seemed at the time to definitely have a bit of a backwoods ring to it so I asked my parents not to use it when yelling out the backdoor for me to come in the house. Some of my cousins and oldest family friends still call me that and I'll answer to it, it's ok. I've kind of stayed in the backwoods anyway.

Old Milo Eugene will be here late May and I'll ask him what he wants to be called.



       

 

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger