Monday, May 15, 2023

Brave Combo at the Museum of East Texas...

 I think I saw Brave Combo the first time about 40 years ago at the old Crossroads bar in Nacogdoches, Tx. I last saw them at Octoberfest in Crockett, Tx in 2021. I saw them again yesterday at the Museum of East Texas as the last show of the season in their Sights and Sounds Series that has brought free family oriented entertainment including chamber ensembles, gypsy jazz and now a show of what Brave Combo calls Nuclear Polka.

I thought the group, which had been scheduled to play on the plaza outside but was moved inside due to the rain sound great with the acoustics of the Museum's chapel. 


Nuclear Polka is when you start out playing polka but then suddenly everything from jazz to salsa to rock to cumbia to movie music and more becomes twisted into one great big polka dance old party. How good is a Brave Combo Party? They have won Grammy awards, they were the band that David Byrne of the Talking Heads hired to play his wedding and the music has appeared on TV shows and movies. Not too bad for the best little polka band out of Denton, Tx that even managed to get half the crowd of 25-30 people that attend on a rainy Sunday Mother's Day afternoon up and dancing. It was obvious who in the audience knew what the band was about.  


The Sights and Sounds Series of Museum was new this year. It's made possible by the Angelina Arts Alliance in partnership with The TLL Temple Foundation, National Endowment of the Arts, Texas Commission on the Arts, Angelina College, and the City of Lufkin as well as this seasons corporate sponsors Georgia Pacific and Brookshire Brothers. When I visit my daughter's family in Chicago I can't tell you how many shows I have seen in Museums, parks and sometimes in clubs that were free shows sposered like this for the education and betterment of the citizens of the city. It makes me proud that my little home town can offer something like this. 




Reportedly next season there will be local talent included in this program. I left them with my name and number.   

I own a Brave Combo Cd, Polkas for a Gloomy World and after the show, which was free although I'm sure the series paid the band I decided I'd add a little gravy to the pay check by purchasing another. I was surprised to find them only charging $5. The merch girl said, Oh, we have thousands of these." Try to get out of an Eagles or Rolling Stones show where you only spent $5. I went ahead and bought a t-shirt to go with the CD because polka is timeless. I collect lots of old polka records from Chicago thrift stores by the local bands there that had TV shows in the late 50s and early 60s and when I put the record on I never have to say, "here's some old old music from way way back."  Polka is a timeless thing. 

Keep an eye out for next year's schedule.   


  


    

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger