Monday, April 17, 2023

Trying Changing Your Mind Sometime...

I don't know if people change their minds that much anymore. In an age where you can do your internet research and cull any material that doesn't fit your ideology, pick a news source that you think is the real news or consult AI where if a human was wrong somewhere in the vastness of the internet it's going to help you be wrong as you blunder along in a system set up the help you be wrong. Maybe I just hang out with an older crowd that as the youngsters used to say, "are set in their ways."  

I've changed my mind about something. Maybe it's not my mind but more my focus but I used to tell people that I liked my vacations in the cities. I live rural and walk out the door to the coyote howl and the owl hoot, load the boat and run to the lake where in a couple of hours time I bring home fresh never frozen catfish to eat. No sense in taking a fishing vacation for sure. Put me out where there is entertainment I haven't seen before, food, culture, shopping and so on.   

It was fun seeing the grandkids and family in in Chicago but seemed like the technology of modern travel was always nipping at my heels this trip. My drivers license would not scan at the airport for boarding check in. My favorite credit card with the cash back/points/they pay me to use it deal would not scan when using automatic pay kiosks for parking. That credit card may have been stretched too many times or I have fell in the lake on too many fishing trips with it or something.    


Then there was the thing I had not encountered before at the airport snack shop. I'm not quite sure where they were going with this because seems like there were three or four employees present to make sure it went smoothly but to open a gate for entrance you scanned a credit card (more of that trouble) made your selection of a snack or drink from the shelves, exited another gate with selection in hand and your card was charged for the purchase. Kind of like some magic of some sort, no scanning or human intervention involved. I halfway expect on my next encounter with this type of system to hear a voice that says, "Mr. Carl, will you have ginger ale again today?" 
    

I can kind of see where my late father in law, who on retirement did a good bit of traveling but mostly wore overalls for the remainder of his life with lots of old man crap in the pockets grew exasperated the last few years of his life with the TSA screening process.  

I think the focus I've changed to has come with our purchase of the travel trailer. Recently we setup near a city and when finished with our business there we came back to camp in a scenic state park and it like relaxing at home instead of a one thing after another city life rush. 

This feeling may change again. I might get a new credit card, driver license or some other mark of the beast that makes things easier. I might just set my ways to be a real old man and wear overalls all the time.   

 

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger