Thursday, November 16, 2023

Resonator Guitars, Tubas, Weddings, Christmas Concerts and More...

 Here's a photo of the stage set up from the recent Brazos River Rats show. That's my metal bodied resonator guitar. People always ask me about that guitar, complement it, say they have never seen such and that it sounds great. Actually it's an Asian import, Chris Edward's big Gibson sitting on stage next to it probably cost three times as much, the first resonator guitars like this were made in 1928 and I've been playing this one for about 25 years. Those that never seen such I'm sorry you are just now making it to one of my gigs and I guess that's also a sign that I am always finding new audiences to hogwash.    
Someone at this show asked me if it was a National, which is the top of the line for this kind of thing. It does sound pretty good and for an import it's top of the line. I can't imagine myself sounding any different if I had a better guitar. All my instruments are mid level journey man type gear. They look nice, get me through the gigs and if a drunk wanders by and sits down where I laid it it probably won't even break like something more expensive might.    


Speaking of gigs even though we have pretty much retired from playing weekly Masses in favor of weddings, funerals, and Quinceaneras we have been asked to substitute for two Masses on Sunday. In between we provide music for the RCIA class. On Saturday we play a wedding of one of our group who began playing with us since she was a teen. Today we will be in a get some music together mode.  

On Dec. 3rd at 2:30 in Temple Theater you can also catch me playing tuba with the Angelina Civic Band for our Christmas Concert. Also in December I'll try to squeeze in a couple of tuba Christmas in the park days. 

    Here's clip of resonator great Bukka White showing how it's done. 



Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"...I know I've seen that face before," Big Jim was thinking to himself "Maybe down in Mexico or a picture up on somebody's shelf..."Bob Dylan from "Lilly Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
  • you thought I was after your job
  • Gogol Bordello
  • Cathy's favorite band. They named this blog.
  • Wallace Fun Photos
  • My online photos.
  • J Pigg Stink Bait
  • A good bait, the current favorite
  • Satch
  • WWOZ New Orleans Jazz Fest Radio
  • The Older You Will Get Video Channel
  • I Make all these myself.
  • Stone Wall Studio
  • First Place I Was Ever Mentioned on The Internet
  • Facebook
  • Lots of me on Facebook
  • St. Patrick Catholic Church Lufkin, Tx
  • I am webmaster of the official church web site

    Powered by Blogger